I am Jen, known on trail as Jenerator, and the creator behind Cooking Up Adventure.
I completed my first thru-hike at the age of 43. It is never too late to try something new!
This is why I created Cooking Up Adventure.
Cooking Up Adventure is about trying new activities in the outdoors and trying new foods along the way. We feature lightweight backpacking recipes, snack ideas for your single-day adventures, and car camping recipes that are nutritious and delicious.
In addition to sharing my favorite outdoor cooking recipes, I am also sharing trip reports, gear reviews, and other outdoor adventure tidbits I learn along the way.
My travels include hiking, camping, backpacking, and more!
Let's Stay Connected
YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram
Newsletter Sign Up:
A Few Things About Me
- A Columbus, Ohio native (Go Bucks!), but I love to travel and try new adventures.
- In 2020 I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail Southbound from Maine to Georgia. Yep, all 2193 miles. You can see my trail adventures on my YouTube channel.
- I was diagnosed with Celiac disease over 10 years ago. Which means I need to eat a gluten-free diet. However, this website includes recipes for all types of diets.
- You can find my dedicated gluten-free recipes at Peel with Zeal.
- I love fashion and high heels as much as hiking boots and playing in the mud.
My Food Philosophy
Whether you are embarking on a month-long backpacking trip or car camping with friends and family, food has two purposes.
First, it sustains us, giving us the energy to engage in all our favorite outdoor activities. Whether you are out for a day, a week, or a month, you need the right types of food to be successful and enjoy your adventure.
Second, food is communal. It brings us together and it is something we bond over.
My recipes are marked by activities, diet, and cooking methods. From cold soaking or dehydrating, dutch ovens to grilling over an open flame. We have you covered. My recipes range from easy to make to over-the-top gourmet. A little something for everyone!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use your recipes or photos on my own site?
At this time Cooking Up Adventure does not allow the republication of a post or recipe text without prior consent. Photos without the recipe can be shared provided the user credits the photo with a link back to the original post. Please read our site policies page for more information.
How can I contact you?
Please feel free to reach out to us via email. We will do our best to get back to you shortly. You can also check out our partnership opportunities.
We do not accept the following:
- Guest Posts (paid or unpaid)
- Links Insertion (paid or unpaid)
- Request for Sponsoring Thru-Hikers
If you enjoyed a recipe, please leave a review. Didn’t turn out quite right? Let us know so we figure out how to improve the recipe for future readers. And if you ever have specific recipe requests, don’t hesitate to let me know because I love to try new recipes.